Cost of Living support

As the cost of living rises, we expect that some of our customers will need extra support to help manage their money at this time. If you have unexpected bills or expenses, or you need immediate advice or support, we are here to help.

S4B’s dedicated Financial Inclusion Team can provide you with advice and help you to access emergency support. Please contact our Financial Inclusion Team for free and confidential advice by email or give us a call on 0300 555 0128. 

S4B Resident Assistance Fund

S4B has a Resident Assistance fund available for any of its customers in financial difficulty.

With the fund you can apply for help with gas and electricity top-ups and supermarket vouchers for help with shopping. More details here.

Other help and support


The Trussell Trust supports a network of foodbanks that provide emergency food and support. You can find more information here.

Household Support Fund

The new Household Support Fund will be distributed by councils in England to directly help those who need it most. The grant will be allocated through small payments to support households in financial difficulty to meet daily needs such as food, clothing, and utilities.

To find out what’s available and how to apply for the fund in your area, click here for more information.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) can provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs. If you currently claim Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and need more financial support with housing costs, you can apply for a DHP.

Your Local councils has their own application process for DHPs and will consider your circumstances to determine if you’re eligible. More information on the Manchester City Council (MCC) website here.

Council tax support

If you are on a low income, unemployed or in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. Find out what Council Tax Support is available by contacting the Manchester City Council website. 

Free school meals

Every child in reception, year one and year two can receive a free nutritious meal at school at lunch time.

Your child may also be able to receive free school meals if you are eligible for certain benefits.  

Help with school uniform costs

Some councils will provide help with the cost of school uniforms. 

Help with childcare costs

Your child may be entitled to free childcare if you are in receipt of certain benefits. 

To find out what support may be available for free school meals or help with uniform and childcare costs, visit the education section of the Manchester City Council website.

Useful websites