What happens if my energy supplier goes out of business?

  • You will not stop receiving gas and electricity 
  • Ofgem ofgem.gov.uk, the energy supplier regulator, will move your account to a new supplier – this may take a few weeks

What I can do?

Get information and advice with the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) Your energy supplier has gone bust – Citizens Advice

There’s no need to cancel direct debits straight away.  Wait for your new account to be set up before cancelling existing arrangements.   

If you’re behind with payments, you’ll still have to pay the money owed. 

If you’re experiencing difficulty with energy costs, talk to the Energy Advice Team — Citizens Advice Manchester 

What are my rights?

  • If you’re in credit with your supplier, your money is protected and you will be paid back
  • CAB’s advice: don’t switch tariff or supplier until your account is moved to the new supplier. You might find it harder to get any money you’re owed if you switch before this happens
  • Once your new account with your new supplier is live, contact your new supplier to check whether you are on a standard tariff, and if they have a cheaper one that you can transfer to
  • If you still want to look around for a new energy supplier, read the Citizen Advice Bureau’s advice on switching supplier first Switch energy supplier – Citizens Advice

Where to go for information and advice

For information on the Warm Home Discount Scheme, Winter Fuel Payment, Cold Weather Payments and more support go to the Manchester Helping Hands website Help with energy bills | Help with energy bills | Manchester City Council

Free and impartial help with money, backed by the government | MoneyHelper (formerly Money Advice Service)

Keep up-to-date with changes to  www.ofgem.gov.uk

Need to talk?

Here are a few services to help you through difficult times:

  • Be Well Service – finding a way to live and feel well with one-to-one support 0161 470 7120
  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) – free, confidential, impartial advice 03444 111 222
  • Gateway M40 provide debt advice with full resolution and support with managing debt. They also offer welfare rights advocacy, food pantry support and fuel voucher support (subject to availability) www.gatewayM40.org  0161 202 3511
  • Samaritans – call free, any time, from any phone – 116 123
  • For confidential 24/7 crisis text support for times when you need immediate assistance, text “SHOUT” to 85258 
  • CALM is the Campaign Against Living Miserably, for people who are down or have hit a wall for any reason  call free and anonymous 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight)  or webchat with trained CALM staff www.thecalmzone.net
  • Free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247.
  • Free Male Advice Line 0808 801 0327

We appreciate there is so much going on here and so much information to digest, so if you are unsure on the help and support you need, please speak to one of the S4B team who can help guide you in the right direction. Send an email telling us what help you need help with to info@s4bmanchester.co.uk or give us call on 0300 555 0128 (24/7). Help is available, so please get in touch.