We are once again supporting Gas Safety Week (18th – 24th September 2017) which is now in its seventh year.

Gas Safety Week is an annual national campaign to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of ensuring gas appliances are maintained correctly and inspected on an annual basis. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe, the official gas registration body for the United Kingdom.  All gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register to legally work on gas appliances.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas! You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning and between 1995-2016 there were 715 fatalities from accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones.

Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.

  • Check your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. By law, your landlord must keep gas appliances supplied for you to use in good condition. They should arrange a gas safety check every 12 months and give you a record of the check.
  • Check any gas appliances you own every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at staygassafe.co.uk.
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the ID card.
  • Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning– headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.

Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.