The transformation of an iconic tower block has been completed – as the consortium behind the £106m regeneration of Manchester’s Brunswick neighbourhood marks its second birthday.
A total of 65 homes in Lockton Court have been converted or refurbished by S4B, with new kitchens, bathrooms, windows and balconies installed. The complex, on Lockton Close, has also benefited from refurbished lifts, car parks and communal areas.
Now similar improvements to a second tower block, Lamport Court, are due for completion shortly and work at two further blocks – Silkin Court and Artillery Court – are due to be finished later this year.
It’s all part of S4B’s £106m masterplan to regenerate the Brunswick neighbourhood, which began two years ago in January 2014.
Since its launch, in addition to the tower block improvements, S4B has:
- Refurbished 448 other homes, with installations ranging from new bathrooms and kitchens to heating, windows and external doors
- Built 35 new properties for sale and 25 for rent, rising to 66 for sale and 68 for rent by the end of 2016
- Built a brand new a multi-use games area in Gartside Gardens and installed a new purpose-built play area for the under-10s at Glenbarry Close
- Rehomed 150 households, the majority of which chose to stay living in Brunswick
- Ensured Brunswick residents are over £109,000 better off thanks to financial advice
- Supported 146 local people into work and 55 people into trainee roles
Judith Winterbourne, S4B board member and Managing Director of Contour Homes, which is part of the S4B consortium, said: “It’s been a fantastic two years for S4B and many improvements are already making a real difference to residents living in the area.
“Everybody involved is very proud of Brunswick and the neighbourhood is being completely transformed to provide quality homes, local facilities and so much more. It’s been a real pleasure to work with local residents in these first two years and we look forward to delivering many more improvements as S4B goes from strength to strength.”
Residents Roy Hanley, aged 58, and partner Carol Duffy, 59, saw their one-bedroom flat in Lockton Court converted into a two-bed home when it was knocked through to the property next door.
“The transformation is amazing,” said Roy. “If you had not seen the place before you really cannot imagine what it was like, and people who have say they are staggered at the changes.”
Carol added: “We love our new home and with all the work that’s been done, we cannot believe how much warmer the place is. It’s going to save us so much money on our bills.
“We moved out while it was all being done but it was so worth the wait. It’s more than we could ever have dreamed of”.
By January 2020 all 200 new-build homes for rent will be complete, which will include 60 apartments with a supported care facility. By April 2023, 300 new-build homes for sale will also have been completed.
The new homes will help to deliver Manchester’s residential growth strategy, providing much-needed quality housing in the city.
The regeneration plans also include new road links, new community allotment area with orchard, new local shops and amenities, and a new neighbourhood office.
Residents are invited to a celebration event on Wednesday 27th January at Medlock Primary School, between 4pm and 6pm. They can find out about the history of Brunswick, see old photographs of the area, find out about the work delivered by S4B so far, and see what’s coming next.
For more information please contact S4B Manchester on 0300 555 0128 or visit the Facebook page.