Financial and benefits advice

Financial Advice

We have a dedicated Financial Inclusion Officer who provides advice if you are having problems with paying your bills or if you would like support to manage your finances. They can provide information and confidential advice to our tenants and leaseholders.

We can offer:

  • advice on managing debt
  • help with applying for grants and other forms of support
  • advice on reducing utility bills

For more information please contact us online or call 0300 555 0128 and ask to speak to Yvette.

Benefits Advice

If you are living on a low income you may be entitled to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit.

The amount of benefit you get will depend on your circumstances, and how much rent and/or council tax you pay.

We can offer:

  • advice on benefit entitlement
  • advice on making benefit claims
  • advice on government changes to benefits, including bedroom tax and universal credit

Please contact Manchester City Council if you have any further questions or to check if you qualify for Housing Benefit.

Changes to Benefits

The Government has introduced a number of major changes to Welfare Benefits including:

  • A “Bedroom Tax” for under-occupied homes
  • Universal credit
  • A Benefits Cap
  • Replacing Disability Living Allowance(DLA) by the new Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • Local Council-run schemes to replace Council Tax Benefit
  • Council-run schemes to replace Community Care Grants and Budgeting Loans.

Our Financial Inclusion Officer can provide information and updates about all the changes and how they will affect you. Please contact us for more information.

Use the bedroom tax calculator to find out how these changes may affect your housing benefit

Get Ready for Universal Credit – Money Advice Service:

Debt helplines

If you are struggling with debts, there are organisations that can give you the advice and information you need.

Money Advice Service or call 0300 500 5000

National Debt Helpline